POSTED DATE: May 2, 2017
SUBMISSION DATE: May 16, 2017
NATURE OF WORK:
Purpose of Position:
The purpose of this position is to assist the Judge in the research, drafting, and decision-making process; conducting research and advising the Judge on legal issues that may arise in a hearing or bench trial; assisting attorneys with procedural questions/issues; and ensuring case flow and case management of pending actions.
Essential Job Functions:
- Researches statutory law, case law, and procedure germane to civil and criminal matters pending before the court; uses online and hard copy research sources; composes/drafts decisions and/or entries; proofreads and edits Judge’s decisions/entries
- Drafts decisions and entries related to motions and other requests pending before the court; categorizes, files, and removes from files draft copies of decisions; files courtesy copies
- Locates case citations for court reporter
- Conducts status conferences related to motion practice, discovery, etc.; conducts civil pre-trials; resolves disputes in civil matters with respect to continuances, discovery issues, case management issues, etc.
- Receives and responds to questions via telephone or live requests regarding civil cases
- Retrieves files and papers from Clerk’s office
- Coordinates with Judge, Magistrate, other staff, attorneys, and litigants; answers inquiries from attorneys, litigants, Bailiffs, and Judge
- Coordinates hearing dates for special matters; provides general management of civil docket
- Identifies and requests deletion of motions which have been decided or should not be on the current-motion list
- Edits jury instructions in civil and criminal cases
- Attends professional seminars
- Performs other related duties as required
The aforementioned duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required to Perform Essential Job Functions:
- Ability to coordinate, manage, and/or correlate data, including exercising judgment in determining time, place and/or sequence of operations, referencing data analyses to determine necessity for revision of organizational components, and in the formulation of operational strategy.
- Ability to function in a managerial capacity for a division or organizational unit. Includes the ability to make decisions on procedural and technical levels.
- Ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
- Ability to utilize consulting and advisory data and information, as well as reference, descriptive and/or design data and information as applicable.
- Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; may include ability to perform mathematical operations with fractions; may include ability to compute discount, interest, and ratios; may include ability to calculate surface areas, volumes, weights, and measures.
- Ability to apply principles of logical or synthesis functions; to deal with several concrete and abstract variables; and to analyze major problems that require complex planning for interrelated activities that can span one or several work units.
- Ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as motivation, incentive, and leadership, and to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to resolve problems.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagrammatic form. Involves semi-routine standardized work with some latitude for independent judgment concerning choices of action.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving broader aspects of organizational programs and operations, moderately unstable situations, or the direction, control and planning of an entire program or set of programs.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory, judgmental, or subjective criteria, as opposed to that which is clearly measurable or verifiable.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving a variety of generally pre-defined duties, which are often characterized by frequent change.
- Ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work, but which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds). Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation.
- Essential functions are regularly performed without exposure to adverse environmental conditions.
** Excellent Benefits Package:
Insurance: Comprehensive Health, Vision, Dental, Life, with an Employee Assistance Plan. Supplemental Life may be purchased at group rates.
Time Off: 10 holidays, Personal leave (after 90 days), Vacation leave (after 6 months) and Sick leave
Retirement: Public Employee Retirement System and Deferred Compensation
Internal applicants: A Letter of Interest should be submitted electronically to Human Resources at HR_Dept@fccourts.org.
External applicants: Applications may be obtained and submitted on-line at www.fccourts.org/jobs or may be obtained from and returned to:
Court of Common Pleas, Human Resources
345 S. High Street, 2nd Floor
Columbus, Ohio 43215
Applications will not be accepted prior to the posting date or after the submission date indicated above. Resumes, personal statements, letters of reference, training records or other pertinent information may be included but not substituted for the application.
*Important Note: Applicants must submit a legal writing sample in conjunction with the application and resume in order to be considered for this position.
*Important Note: Applicants should not directly contact the Judge’s Chambers; inquiries should be directed to the Human Resources office.
The person selected will undergo a background investigation.
THE COURT OF COMMON PLEAS OF FRANKLIN COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND WILL NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, SEX, NATIONAL ORIGIN, DISABILITY, AGE, OR ANCESTRY OF ANY PERSON.