Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required to Perform Essential Job Functions:
- Ability to learn and implement evidence-based practices in the field of community corrections including effective interventions/supervision strategies;
- Ability to apply principles of influence systems, such as motivation, incentive, and leadership, and to exercise independent judgment to apply facts and principles for developing approaches and techniques to resolve problems.
- Ability to evaluate, audit, deduce, and/or assess data using established criteria including exercising discretion in determining actual or probable consequences and in referencing such evaluation to identify and select alternatives.
- Ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving the evaluation of information against sensory, judgmental, or subjective criteria, as opposed to that which is clearly measurable or verifiable;
- Performance of essential functions requires interaction with accused and convicted criminal offenders;
- Ability to physically handle resistive/assaultive individuals;
- Ability to perform arrests, transports, and searches of offenders;
- Ability to operate, maneuver and/or control equipment, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions;
- Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; may include ability to perform statistical analysis; and
- Ability to exert physical effort in sedentary work– e.g. extended periods of time at a keyboard or workstation, to infrequent lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 20 pounds). Requires some stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, or prolonged standing in light work.
- Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice or related field.
- Must hold and maintain a valid Ohio Driver’s License.
- One (1) year experience involving probation, parole, or the community supervision of offenders, counseling, or maintaining a caseload in a case management setting.
- One (1) year experience in investigative report writing
In addition to the Essential Job Functions and Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities identified, the following competencies are considered during the hiring process and are integral to the position:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities: Possesses, acquires, and maintains the technical/ professional expertise required to do the job effectively and to create solutions. Technical/professional expertise is demonstrated through problem solving, applying professional judgment, and competent performance
Decision Making/Problem Solving: Makes sound, well-informed, and objective decisions in a timely manner. Compares data, information, and input from a variety of sources to draw conclusions; takes action that is consistent with available facts, constraints, and probable consequences. Applies both rational and creative processes to identify unknown root causes of problems. Based on the situation, decides the best course of action, implements the solution, and follows-up to see how it’s working. Calculates and evaluates the long-term consequences of a decision.
Stress Tolerance: Maintains effective performance under pressure; handling stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization. Stays calm and even-tempered when handling crises, stressful situations, continuous change, or unexpected developments. Is able to recover from difficult situations. Is seen as a settling influence in a crisis.
Teamwork: Works effectively in a team environment to accomplish organizational goals. Builds constructive working relationships with interested stakeholders to identify and meet mutual goals and objectives. Participates as an active and contributing member of teams with a focus on improving offender outcomes and department goals. Shares information as appropriate and credit for team accomplishments. Helps create and maintain strong morale and a feeling of belonging in his/her team. Acts as if "true success" is the success of the whole team.
Conflict Management: Uses appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to reduce tension and/or conflict between two or more people; able to size up situations quickly; able to identify common interests; facilitates resolution. Steps up to conflicts and sees them as opportunities. Finds common ground and achieves cooperation without disruption to work flows or interpersonal relationships.
Cultural Competence: Values an inclusive organization where the differences of all people are respected, valued and utilized towards achieving common goals. Respects and relates well to people from varied backgrounds, understands diverse worldviews, and is sensitive to group differences; sees diversity as an opportunity, respectfully challenges bias and intolerance. Supports equal and fair treatment.
Communication: Clearly conveys and receives information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the listener, helps them understand and retain the message and invites response and feedback. Keeps others informed as appropriate. Demonstrates effective written, verbal and listening skills.
Collaboration: Develops and maintains effective working relationships with coworkers and stakeholders through the use of strong interpersonal skills to meet mutual goals and objectives. Obtains cooperation from others; seeks and encourages win-win alternatives.
Influence: Uses appropriate interpersonal skills and techniques to gain support and acceptance for ideas or solutions. Uses influencing strategies to gain mutually beneficial agreements; Seeks to persuade rather than force solutions or impose decisions or regulations; and recognizes personal autonomy of others.
Dependability and Reliability: Personally responsible; completes work in a timely, consistent manner; is committed to being available during business hours to further organizational goals; demonstrates regular and punctual attendance; arrives prepared for work; is committed to doing the best job possible; diligently follows through on commitments and consistently meets deadlines.