This position will remain open until filled. For first consideration, please submit your application on or before April 7, 2017.
Under administrative direction of the City Attorney, provides full operating and skilled professional legal services and counsel for the City requiring the application of the majority of standard legal techniques to accomplish dayto- day duties; conducts legal research, prepares or reviews legal documents, prepares written opinions on a wide variety of issues, may prosecute cases in Mayor's Court and Municipal Court, and represents the City in court on routine and more complex matters.
Examples of Duties:
1. Serves as civil litigation counsel for the City; analyzes legal questions, prepares and gathers evidence, directs others in the preparation of evidence, prepares legal documents, makes court appearances, represents the City in hearings, trials, and appeals; informs and advises City Council on status and settlements.
2. Provides legal advice and assistance to all City departments, boards, commissions, and officials on day-today operations of the City; conducts legal research, analysis and prepares reports/briefs on legal issues affecting the City.
3. Prepares legal opinions, research papers, contracts, and other legal documents; reviews and/or writes contracts for the City; negotiates terms with vendors and contractors; drafts revised or new legislation for review based on changes in the law; drafts proposed legislation for compliance with state and federal law.
4. Prosecutes cases in Mayor's Court and Municipal Court; appears on the City's behalf in court at all stages including trials and appeals; advises police as to legal questions regarding enforcement of criminal and traffic laws; advises Clerk of Court as to legal questions covering the handling of criminal and traffic cases.
5. Serves as legal counsel for the City in all civil service employment issues; attends hearings and litigates cases before Commission.
6. Attends City Council meetings and answers questions or presents legislation; observes that meetings comply with all applicable laws; provides guidance as to Open Meetings questions and public record requests.
7. Maintains licenses and certifications as required, if any.
8. Demonstrates regular and predictable attendance.
9. Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to essential functions.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
10. Performs other related duties as assigned. (5%)